Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Strong Interest Inventory

Last month, I took the strong interest inventory test at the Career and Academic Success Center. I was asked to rate specific occupational activities based on how much I thought I would enjoy doing them. It was hard to answer based on my first reaction as the instructions directed and avoid over-thinking. For many of the questions, I didn't have strong feelings one way or the other. I was worried the results would be skewed because of this.

Before receiving my results for the strong interest inventory, I guessed that my Holland Code would be ISA. While I was right about which letters were my top three, I was wrong about the order. My actual Holland Code was ASI. I was a little surprised by this, but it also makes sense.

From my list of top ten occupations for this test, I am especially interested in the prospect of being an ESL instructor, a musician, a speech pathologist, and an instructional coordinator. I have fairly neutral feelings about the other occupations. For the musician occupation in particular, I have mixed feelings. While I like the idea of being a musician and enjoy singing, I currently have little musical training and I do not like the idea of being financially unstable.

The occupations that ranked 11-15 for my SII were: 11. Physical Therapist (STD score: 48), 12. Technical Writer (STD score:47), 13. Registered Nurse (STD score: 47), 14. Chiropractor (STD score: 47), 15. Rehabilitation Counselor (STD score: 46)/ Librarian (STD score 46).

This test definitely gave me some more options to consider. I am not convinced it is 100% accurate, but it is interesting nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment