Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Majors at BYU

After attending most of every class discussing majors, I know a lot more about the majors BYU offers. Not every subject interested me, but I'm still glad I attended every class because I learned something in each of them.

Currently, the major I'm most interested in right now is Ancient Near Eastern Studies. I didn't even know this major existed, and was excited to learn about it.  After taking a closer look at the major's requirements I am even more intrigued. It's 60 credits and requires a lot of Religion, History, and Language courses related to the ancient near east. It is under the College of Humanities in the International and Area Studies department. I would have the option to take Greek 302, which would count for my languages of learning requirement. This class would also count for part of the Letters requirement, but I've completed a course for that section already. I would also have to take REL A 211 and REL A 212, both of which would count for my New Testament GE requirement. I would also take REL A 301 & 302, which would finish my BYU religion requirement.

Another major that piqued my interest was Teaching Social Science. It caught my attention when I learned in class that it encompasses a broad range of material: history, geography, politics, economics, and psychology. It is 73 credits and is under the History department in the College of Family, Home and Social Science. By finishing the major I would meet the Civilization 1 (I've completed the course in this major that covers this GE requirement) and the Civilization 2 GE requirements. It would also meet the Global and Cultural Awareness requirement, which isn't helpful since I've already completed it with another class.

Mathematics is 53.5 credits and is in the Mathematics Department of College of Physical and Math Sciences. I'm keeping this major in mind because math has always been my strong suite, and I learned in class that it is recommended for job security reasons. Should I complete this major, it would fulfill the quantitative reasoning and languages of learning GE requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment